Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Before and Afters

I've been working hard and managed to finish quite a few pieces.

The first one I want to show you is this yard sale coffee table. A friend of mine spied it on this post and asked if I'd refinish it for her.

The scratched up honey oak is gone and has been replaced with a sleek, glossy black that's been lightly distressed.

MUCH better.

Next up is this old wooden magazine rack. I love the details of this piece, from the cut-out front panel to the spindly legs to the dividers and their staggered heights.

It's been painted a creamy white and got some vintage sheet music decoupaged onto the sides and back.





A little distressing draws attention to the detail of the legs. If I had somewhere to put it, this piece would stay with me. I love it!

Remember this wicker chair and the matching little table?

It's hard to tell from these photos, but they were painted a dingy ivory color and had some green and pink on them as well.

Personally, I think all wicker furniture deserves to be painted crisp white.

I loved this little piano bench, but it was in pretty sad condition. The veneer on top was pulling away and in general the finish was pretty much trashed.

So she also got a new coat of Rustoleum's famous Heirloom White and a pretty new cushioned seat.

Even the inside looks better!

I love this linen-esque fabric with its sweet, perfectly imperfect floral print.



Finally, another custom piece. Well, sort of custom. My youngest brother and his wife were in need of an ottoman that would go with the purple furniture they're currently using and asked if I might be able to come up with something. I've seen their furniture, and even though it is purple, it's actually very nice. I spotted this little number at a thrift store last week and instantly snapped it up. It was the perfect size for their cozy apartment and would be a breeze to recover.

Here it is with its new linen-colored fabric and nail head trim. And if our grass was mowed you'd be able to see the legs in their new cream color. (Yes, I had a little bit of a love affair with Heirloom White this week.)

I think those antiqued brass tacks finish it off nicely. Well...

...almost finish it off. Can you believe that I was only short 4 dang tacks?? GAH! And of course I bought the last two packs from my local Joann, so now I get to run around looking for more so I can finish this and send it with my husband when he leaves for East Idaho on Thursday so he can deliver it to my brother for me.
(All of the items in this post except the coffee table & storage ottoman are available for sale. I'll be taking them to the consignment store later this week, so I'll only have them for a couple of days. If you'd like to purchase one please just leave me a comment or send me a Facebook message.)

No comments: