Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bits and Pieces

This week has been a little bit hectic, so I just haven't had a chance to do any new projects.

Today I thought I'd show you a couple of bits of my house that are kind of new additions. Just simple stuff that I really like.

This sweet little band of felt circles adorned the box that contained the thank-you gift that my brother and his wife gave me for reupholstering their couch. Isn't it cute? I'd also gotten one wrapped around my Christmas gift from them and just thought it was the most darling way to decorate a gift box.

So I tied it around this linen shade to add a little charm to this thrift store lamp. This would be super easy to make, too. Cut felt circles, make two slits about 1/4" apart in the middle, then thread some cotton ribbon through the slits.

Easy.

Another change I've made recently (okay, a couple of months ago) was to make some new curtains for my living room. They're airy, neutral, and let in as much light as possible, which is important since this is the only window in the room.

I pretty much keep the blinds up all the time so that the room doesn't feel cave-like.

The curtains are tied back with some pretty hardware that were black which I painted white and distressed.

But here's what I really love about them- they only cost me about $2 each!

The large white parts were actually beautifully clean linen tablecloths that I scored at a thrift store for $1 each. The two ends were already hemmed and the sides had a woven finished edge. All I had to do was add some length, which was really easy using some of that natural cotton fabric that I love.


With a little math and a little sewing, I came up with a pair of breezy curtains that are lovely for spring and summer.

Even though the bottom is hidden by my couch right now, I like that they're floor-length in case it ever shows. I just hate when curtains are a few inches too short. It feels to me like my living room is wearing high-water pants.
Hopefully next week I'll have more to share with you. But I guess that means I'd better get to work! :)

1 comment:

Palmer family said...

I LOVE that adorable lamp....if you ever find it's twin, let me know! :) I also love those curtains you made. Amazing! I love the soft, neutral colors for curtains too. Job well done. I was laughing SO hard at the 'high waters' part...I feel the very same way.